Friday, July 20, 2012

DIY: Headboard

I've been trying to finish my room up just the way I like it, but recently I've felt like something was missing on the wall behind my bed, so what does a DIY girl do? She makes a headboard! It was super easy and I felt very wo-manly after wards! *Note, my bed is a twin, so adjust measurements and materials to your bed*
What you'll need: 
-Scrap wood
-Bleach
- 2 2X4's
-Base paint
-Writing paint
-Nails
-Hammer
-Screws
-Screwdriver
-Tape measure
-Wood cutting devise (or a local hard wear store)

1. First gather your wood, I used 6 pieces total just for the headboard part and 2 2X4's (not pictured).
 *When you put your headboard together the 6th piece of wood will not be seen, so if you want a tall headboard add an extra board*

2. Take these boards and wash them down with warm water and bleach using a scrub brush. This will disinfect them and get all the bugs out of the boards!

3. Set the boards up to dry.

4. While the boards are drying go and measure your bed to get the desired height and width. These were my measurements;
Width: 38"apx
height: 48' apx

 5. You can choose to either cut the boards yourself, in which case you should be very careful, and use safety glasses etc. or, you can go to your local hard ware place and they will usually do 1 cut for $1.00 or so, so in this case, 8 boards would cost you $8.00, which isn't that bad!

6. Now that your boards are cut, you need to place them similar to the picture to the left.

Optional: you can use wood glue to secure them to make hammering the nails easier if you are doing this by yourself, I had help so i skipped this step.

7. Now nail the boards into the 2X4's. I used 4 nails per board, 2 on each end. Also, make sure your nails are long enough to go half way through the 2X4 so they are sturdy!


 8. Now the fun part, painting! So I chose a white base colour and a purple writing colour, but you can choose whatever colours you like! I did two coats of white paint all over the headboard using a roller and a paintbrush for the grooves. If you want a distressed look you can just use the roller and leave some spots still woody.

9. Let it dry before painting the words.

10. While the boards are drying choose the phrase, word, or quote you desire.

Here were some of my contenders:
"You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes,
you can steer yourself in any direction you choose"
-Dr. Seuss

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others;
for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness;
and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone"
-Audrey Hepburn

11. Pencil the quote onto the boards the way you want them.

12. Paint over the pencil marks, let dry.

13. Screw the headboard into your bed frame.

And you're done!


I'm not the fondest of my own hand writing, but I did the best I could and that's all that matters, and even if my hand writing sucks, I am still proud of the headboard because I learnt a lot of things doing this project, and that head board is as sturdy as a rock!

If you try this DIY share the link in the comments! 
I would love to see them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment